Friday, September 12, 2014

Getting Started ...



Back in the Spring of 2002, my oldest son was assigned an Ethnic Festival Project. Each student had to research one of the lands that their ancestors had come from.

Now I had always been interested in my family history. I always asked questions of my parents and grandparents - but never thought to write anything down. As kids we never think about losing the ones we love. We never think that they won't be there to ask questions of. But it happens - and all of a sudden there is no one left to ask.

This Blog is about my father s family. I am going to start with my dad's generation and his siblings - but out of respect for my own siblings and cousins - who are all living - I do not plan to get into those relationships.

I never met my father's father. He died in December of 1941. My dad was just 16.  His mother passed away in 1972. I lost my dad in 1995. But there was a trail that was left - that I could follow. After my mom passed away in 2001 we had to go thru all of their things to get the house ready to sell.

In searching through my parents lives - in the things that were left behind,  my siblings and I found clues to help us in our search. Photos packed away in a box in the garage.  In talking with relatives and with the  internet and some ancestry websites I began to dig into my roots.

It has been long and slow - and is a continuous project of patience and love. Initially writing things down for my son to use for his project - I stopped after getting most of what I could get from free websites. A couple years later my next son had the same project (different teacher) and so the search started again - only this time I started with some paid subscriptions and found more.

This blog is to share the information that I have found on the ancestors of my dad pictured here 


Morris Gardiner Bull
1925-1995

Perhaps  somewhere down the road this info will be helpful for future generations wanting to dig back in their roots.

No comments: